2. Hales CN, Barker DJP, Clark PMS, Cox LJ, Fall C, Osmond C & Winter PD, 1991, Fetal and infant growth and impaired glucose tolerance at age 64 years. Brit. Med. J. 303: 1019-1022.
3. Barker DJP, Hales CN, Fall CHD, Osmond C, Phipps K & Clark PMS, 1993, Type 2 (non-insulin-dependent) diabetes mellitus, hypertension and hyper-lipideamia (syndrome X): relation to reduced fetal growth. Diabetologia 36: 62-67
4. Phillips DIW & Hales CN, 1996, The intrauterine environment and susceptibility to noninsulin dependent diabetes and the insulin resistance syndrome. The Diabetes Annual 10: 1-13
5. Neel JV (1962) Diabetes mellitus: "a thrifty" genotype rendered detrimental by "progress". AmJHum Genet 14: 353-362.
6. Poulsen P, Vaag A, Kyvik KO, Moller-Jansen, Beck-Nielsen H, 1997, Low birth weight is associated with non-insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus in discordant monozygotic and dizygotic twin pairs. Diabetologia 40: 439-446
7. Snoek A, Remacle C, Reusens B & Hoet JJ, 1990, Effect of a low protein diet during pregnancy on the fetal rat endocrine pancreas. Biol Neonate 57: 107-1 18.
8. Desai M & Hales C N, 1997, Role of fetal and infant growth in programming metabolism in later life. Biol. Rev 72: 329-348.
9. Hales CN, Desai M, Ozanne SE & Crowther NJ, 1996, Fishing in the steam of diabetes: From measuring insulin to the control of fetal organogenesis. Biochem Soc Trans 24: 341 -350.
10.Langley-Evans S & Jackson A, 1996, Intrauterine programming ofhypertension: Nutrient-hormone interactions. Nutrition Reviews 54 No 6: 163-169.
11 .Petry CJ, Ozanne SE, Wang CL & Hales CN, 1997, Early protein restriction and obesity independently induced hypertension in year old rats. Clin Science 93: 147-152.
12. Lucas A, Baker BA, Desai M & Hales CN 1996 Nutrition in pregnant or lactating rats programs lipid metabolism in the offspring. BritJNutrition 76: 605-612.
13.Burns SP, Desai, Cohen RD, Hales CN, Iles R4, Germain JP, Going TCH & Bailey RA, 1997 Glucogeogenesis, glucose handling, and structural changes in livers of the adult offspring of rats partially deprived of protein during pregnancy and lactaiton. J CIin Invest 100: 1768-1774.
I4.Ozanne SE & Hales CN (1999)
The Long term consequences of intrauterine protein malnutrition for glucose metabolism. Proc Nutr Soc. (In press).
15.de Lange T, 1998, Telomeres and senescence: Ending the debate. Science 279: 334-335.
16. Jennings BJ, Ozanne SE, Dorling MW & Hales CN, 1999, Early growth determines longevity in male rats and may be related to telomere shortening in the kidney. FEBS Letters 448( 1): 4-8.
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.