1. Ramírez-Moreno, L. and Olvera-Ramírez, R., Uso tradicional y actual de Spirulina sp. (Arthrospira sp.), Interciencia, 31, 657, 2006.
2. Sánchez, M. et al., Spirulina (Arthrospira): an edible microorganism. A review. Univer. Scient., 8, 7, 2003.
3. Khan, A., Bhadouria, P., and Bise, P.S., Nutritional and therapeutic potential of Spirulina, Curr. Pharm. Biotech., 6, 373, 2005.
4. Belay, A., Current knowledge on potential health benefits of Spirulina, J. Appl. Phycol., 5, 235, 1993.
5. Belay, A., Kato, T., and Ota, Y., Spirulina (Arthrosrpira): potential application as an animal feed supplement, J. Appl. Phycol., 8, 303, 1996.
6. Fox, D.R., Spirulina., production and potential, Aix-en Provence, France, Edisud, 1996.
7. Mendes, R.L. et al., Supercritical carbon dioxide extraction of compounds with pharmaceutical importance from microalgae, Inorg. Chim. Acta., 356, 328, 2003.
8. Campanella, L., Crescentini, G., and Avino, P., Chemical composition and nutritional evaluation of some natural and commercial food products based on Spirulina, Analusis, 27, 533, 1999.
9. Remirez, D., Ledon, N., and Gonzalez, R., Role of histamine in the inhibitory effects of phycocyanin in experimental models of allergic inflammatory response, Mediat. Inflamm., 11, 81, 2002.
10. Belay, A., The potential application of Spirulina (Arthrospira) as a nutrition and therapeutic supplement in health management, J. Am. Nutr. Ass., 5, 27, 2002.
11. Becker, E.W., Comparative toxicological studies with algae in India, Thailand, and Peru, In Algae biomass, Shelef, G. and Soeder, C.J., Eds., Elsevier/North-Holland Biomedical Press, Tübingen, West Germany, 1980, 767.
12. Dillon, J.C., Phuc, A.P., and Dubacq, J.P., Nutritional value of the alga Spirulin, World Rev. Nutr. Diet., 77, 32, 1995.
13. Chamorro, G. et al., Farmacología y Toxicología del alga Spirulina, Rev. Invest. Clín., 48, 389, 1996.
14. Chamorro, G. et al., Actualización en la farmacología de Spirulina. (Arthrospira), un alimento no convencional, Arch. Latinoam. Nutr., 52, 232, 2002.
15. Hernández-Corona, A. et al., Antiviral activity of Spirulina maxima against herpes simples virus type II, Antivir. Res., 56, 279, 2002.
16. Ozdemir, G. et al., Antibacterial activity of volatile component and various extracts of Spirulinaplatensis, Phytother. Res., 18, 754, 2004.
17. Hsiao, G. et al., C-Phycocyanin, a very potent and novel platelet aggregation inhibitor from Spirulina platensis, J. Agric. Food Chem., 53, 7734, 2005.
18. Nagaoka, S. et al., A novel protein C-phycocyanin plays a crucial role in the hypocho-lesterolemic action of Spirulina platensis concentrate in rats, J. Nutr., 135, 2425,
Was this article helpful?
All you need is a proper diet of fresh fruits and vegetables and get plenty of exercise and you'll be fine. Ever heard those words from your doctor? If that's all heshe recommends then you're missing out an important ingredient for health that he's not telling you. Fact is that you can adhere to the strictest diet, watch everything you eat and get the exercise of amarathon runner and still come down with diabetic complications. Diet, exercise and standard drug treatments simply aren't enough to help keep your diabetes under control.